Deep inside, the fear that most singles will never admit to openly is the one that tells them they're alone in the world. The one that tells them no one cares, no one will notice if you don't show up and no one will be there when you need help the most. I'm happy to believe and proclaim that those fears are unfounded and none of us, no matter what it feels like, are alone in the world.
Someone I know received some really bad health news this week and needed emergency care. She lives in Dallas on her own and most, if not all, of her family live a few hours away. The very situation that makes so many of us feel like we're alone in the world. As I watched her story unfold this week one thing was truly inspiring and comforting. Watching her friends come to the aid of her and her family and seeing how many people were concerned about her and ready to offer their support.
At Mass last night, the homilist talked about the message of "be not afraid" that shows up again and again in the Bible. In light of this week's news, it was a message we all needed to hear. Not just for our friend, but for ourselves too. As I've seen this week, all those fears of being single and forgotten when we need help the most are unfounded. We're not alone in the world. And we need to remember to see that everyday, in good times and in bad.
No comments:
Post a Comment