Last week one of my cousins passed away. Over the last 15 years three of my cousins, all under 60, have passed away from a form of suicide. While the manner of death was different for each one, there is a common factor that contributed to each of their deaths. Something that I've referred to for years as "The Family Curse".
"The Family Curse" is a term I use to describe a medical condition that runs in my family. It's a chemical imbalance in our bodies that makes us either prone or susceptible to depression, manic-depression, anxiety issues, addictions, and a host of other similar conditions. No one talks about it, except in veiled innuendos at family funerals and the like. And from what I can tell, very few of us get help. And of course, we're not alone. Just recently a friend of mine lost his second son to a similar condition in his family. I initially bonded with one of my closest friends because the condition runs in her family too. Not to mention that you can't turn on a TV lately without seeing or hearing about a Charlie Sheen manic outburst. And after seeing what this condition has wrought in my family and others I have come to one conclusion- ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
So for everyone out there who has this condition in their family and/or in themselves, I give you "The Depression Manifesto". Because it's time for all of us to stand up and take control for ourselves, our families and our friends. This condition may be a part of our lives in one way or another, but it does not have to define our lives.
The Depression Manifesto
1. I will never forget that what I, my loved one or my friend has is a medical condition- no different from diabetes or epilepsy - and nothing more. And like most medical conditions, it can be controlled.
2. I will not be ashamed of the condition or those I know who have it. See #1 for a reason why.
3. I will understand and accept that while this is part of me, my loved one or my friend it does not define who they are or who they will be.
4. If I personally have the condition, I will take care of my health through diet, exercise and medication (if needed). A combination of two or all three of these can be of great benefit to me in maintaining a healthy and stable body chemistry.
5. I will make sure either that I have a support system in place to rely on when needed or I will serve as a support to my friend or loved one when needed.
6. I will be honest with myself about how I am feeling and I will be honest with my loved one or friend when they need me to be.
7. I will take responsibility for my own health out of respect for myself and those around me. This is especially true if I have a spouse or children. I owe it to my family to stay healthy.
8. I will journal/meditate/pray- whatever is needed to help maintain my mental health.
9. I will work in partnership with my doctor and others when needed and I will encourage my loved one or friend to do so when they need help managing their condition.
10. I will believe that I am strong enough to live a full and happy life, no matter what may come.
Dear Annette, I am so sorry for your and your family's loss. May your deceased loved ones find eternal rest, peace, and joy in God's presence.
ReplyDeleteI too struggle under this "family curse." I know how heavy a cross it can be. Thank you so much for this manifesto!
God bless you.
Heather
Annette, I also am so very sorry to hear of your loss and I feel for your family in their grief. I am so blessed that I do not suffer from this, but my husband's family tends to be prone to it as I found out a few years ago. More on that later, when I speak to you in April. :-)
ReplyDelete