Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Should I Stay or Should I Go Now?

Yes, this is the title of one of my fav Clash songs, but this post isn't about music.  It's about a specific struggle we all go through in making certain decisions in our personal and professional lives- do we stay, or do we go?

I've watched more friends than I can count in the last couple of years struggle with whether to stay or go in certain situations.  Some are even struggling now, myself included.  And it's never a clear answer as to which is the easiest to do.  If I stay, am I truly making the best decision for that particular situation?  Or do I stay because it's the safe thing to do?  Am I staying for the sake of others but to my own detriment?  Do I stay because while my current situation isn't great, I've become complacent and just don't want to deal with a change or rock the boat in my life?  Or does starting over just seem too hard or daunting?  Between the two, I think staying is the one people choose most often, or at least at first, because it involves the least amount of risk.  After all, if we stay, we have a pretty good idea of what we're getting ourselves into.  The risk of the unknown is usually pretty minimal if we stay.

Going, on the other hand, that's the scary one.  Even when we know deep down inside it's the right thing to do.  That's the jump off the high dive.  The road less traveled.  It's like driving in the fog when you can only see what's right in front of you.  Quite simply, it's the choice that scares the pants off of each and every one of us, whether we want to admit it or not.

If we're lucky though, like Lewis and Clark, we have someone to help guide the way through the frontier for us.  It may be a trusted friend who helps look out for our best interest (and not theirs).  It may be our faith along with the comfort and guidance of God, Jesus, Mary, a Saint or a Spiritual Director who inspires us.  It may be the example of someone else who's tread a similar path and can help show us the way.  Or quite simply someone to cheer us on without being a "yes man" at the same time. 

Whatever you decide, just make sure you think your decision through carefully.  There's nothing worse than leaving hastily or in the heat of the moment.  Trust me on this one.

So, in your own life, should you stay or should you go now?

No comments:

Post a Comment