Two things that happened within 15 minutes of each other this past week got me to thinking- it's not always the big gestures that make an impact on people when it comes to Faith. The small, everyday things in life can speak volumes before we even realize it.
Last Monday morning, I took my car in to be serviced for its 30k check-up. Since I knew I would be waiting a couple of hours, I packed a book, a magazine and my journal to keep me occupied. It's a habit I've had since childhood when I know I'm going to be waiting a while. While the magazine and journal were in my purse, I carried the book in my had. As the service rep was checking me in he asked me about the book. I've been reading "The Saint's Guide to Happiness" recently. I explained that it was partly based on the Beatitudes and that in addition to drawing from the lives of the Saints, the author draws on modern, secular examples to make his points. The rep seemed politely interested and I just assumed he was making friendly, salesman chit-chat. Then I walked out into the waiting area and in a few minutes he came over to me asking for the name of the book's author. That's when I realized he was serious in his interest. When I left the dealership a couple of hours later, I asked him if his wife had been able to find the book on Amazon for her Kindle he replied "no" but that she was still looking for it locally. Now, I doubt this book will change his life or be something earth shattering, but I do honestly believe that in that moment God used me to help someone else out on their Faith journey. And it all came from a simple habit and carrying the book in the open where someone could see it.
Once I sat down and started reading through my magazine, I came upon a short article about Mark Wahlberg and the new movie he has coming out. He plays a boxer in the movie and obviously went through some intense training for it. While discussing his training he talked about getting up at 6am each and day and running the 8 miles to Church and back each morning. I know from past interviews that Wahlberg is a practicing Catholic, and my take on that comment is that he was going to Mass each day. What I liked about his comment was the simplicity of it. No fuss, no preaching, just a simple passing comment that leaves readers with the impressions that he's going to Mass each day. I'd like to think that someone, somewhere may be inspired by that comment and might make their own journey back to the Church based on that simple comment.
So there you have it. Two simple acts woven into two lives that spoke to others. Maybe it's because of all the miracles in the Bible that we think it takes a grand gesture or action to touch people's lives or Faith journey. As I was reminded last Monday morning, that's not the case. In Faith, as in life, little things mean a lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment